Sunday, February 27, 2011

Vegan Coconut Muffins


A vegan coconut muffin sparkling in the sunlight. Mom gave me the Nippon pitcher in the background for my birthday.


On Friday night I made some awesome coconut muffins using a recipe I found on Vegan Sweet Tooth  and tweaked just the tiniest bit. When the muffins came out of the oven, I topped them using a really fun technique I read about on Aspiring Homemaker, my very favorite blog in the world. I dipped the tops in melted Earth Balance, then rolled them in sugar. These sugar-topped muffins are so good I'm making myself ill. For the last two days the only thing I've eaten is muffins.

Here is the revised recipe:

Vegan Coconut Muffins

Ingredients:

Muffins:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Topping:
3 Tbls Earth Balance
½ cup sugar

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, applesauce, and vanilla. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients, and stir just to combine, then fold in the shredded coconut. Spoon batter into a muffin tin lined with paper liners.

Bake for about 20 minutes. Melt the Earth Balance in a shallow bowl in the microwave. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, dip the tops in melted Earth Balance, then roll them in sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment