Monday, May 13, 2013

A Bunny Tale

Today I thought I'd tell you a little story and then show you some pictures I took that have nothing at all to do with it.

The story is actually my mom's story, and I'm going to to use her words to tell it just because she told it to me so well and I don't want to mess it up. It started like this: She called me on the phone and said, "Do you have a minute? I've got to tell you about my bunny!"

I was immediately interested; Mom has a wild rabbit in her yard that she loves to watch, and I enjoy hearing about him.

"Have you ever seen rabbits fight?" she asked.

"No," I said. "I can't say that I have."

"Well, there were two in the yard today and they were fighting, I think. I was watching one, the one I usually see, I think, and it started rolling in this patch of sand under the swing. It rolled just like a cat would roll in the sand, except not quite on its back, mostly just on its side. And then another one hopped over and they started fighting over the sand. It was the most interesting thing! They never touched, not one time. They just jumped, over and over, straight up like springs, not going forward at all. They were almost taking turns, it seemed. They jumped real high in the air, too, so high I couldn't believe it. The birdbath is what, maybe three feet tall, and they were jumping higher than that. Oh, it just went on and on. And that was how they decided who got to keep the sand. In the end, the second one hopped away and the first one just started rolling around again, just rolling in that sand, as happy as can be. Well, I was just fascinated. I was going to go to church at 8:30, but I stayed home and watched the rabbits."

And now for my usual irrelevant pictures:

Owl statue by the pond

Carl relaxing on the breezeway

A little carrot harvest

The front yard with oxeye sunflowers, Indian pinks, and purple coneflowers

We picked our first peach yesterday, a Florida King.

It looks like a pretty good year for blueberries.

Doesn't this cat look like it's crying?

9 comments:

  1. Mom just told me that great story, too! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she doesn't get mad at me for putting this on my blog, but I thought it was the cutest story ever! I asked her to try to get some video if it ever happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an interesting story...geat pictures of a florida spring day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a sweet story and I could just picture it all while reading.

    Your photos are wonderful and everything looks lush and luscious.

    I love your garden statues, and yes, the cat does look like it is crying.

    Have a lovely week there in your bit of paradise.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to see the rabbits fighting. We should fight like that. Just see who can jump higher instead of violence. The photos are so lovely, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have bailed on church to watch the bunnies too! :-)

    Beautiful photos as always. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed with your ability to grow peaches or purple cone flowers. Seriously - the cone flower is one plant that I've never been able to master. Not that I've given up ~ yet.

    That cat looks sad. Probably crying having to sit outside day after day watching all your other cats enjoy the life of complete luxury inside your beautiful home. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a sweet bunny story! I think I would have stayed glued to the action as well. I love watching critters in the yard.

    All your photos are gorgeous! Carl is so cute, and those carrots look perfect! I have to say, I am in love with your house! Quite envious as well :) It looks so cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet story! I was driving by my neighbors house the other day and I looked at his bunny cage in his front yard only to see 2 of his bunnies fighting. They really do jump!! :) Your photos are amazing and that front porch.....now THAT is a front porch to sit on, sip lemonade or iced tea, and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the kitty looks so sad but the rest of your pics are lovely. Your home and garden are so wonderfully old Florida...a special place, indeed.

    ReplyDelete