Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Summer Night



Summer is my favorite season at Spruce Pine Cottage. It's the green time, the lush, sultry time, the time when the rosinweed blooms and the garden is full of tomatoes. Box turtles come out in the rain.

Nighttime is even better than daytime because there are fireflies. I like to sit on the breezeway and watch them, and listen to the frog songs and all the insect music. The summer nights are so noisy; they roar and buzz and fizz and peep.

Last night I sat on the breezeway in my pajamas, and the lamp by my side made a pool of golden light. I was reading a cookbook (The Taste of Country Cooking) and talking to the cats; they were lying about on the cool wooden floor like seals on a beach.

"It sure is nice here, isn't it?" I said. "We sure are lucky to live here, aren't we?"

Carl yawned luxuriously, and I took that as a yes.



11 comments:

  1. I second that yarn! Your home is absolutely beautiful and when you add 3 acres . . . well, pure perfection.

    I want to know how you're able to grow tomatoes in the summer though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly lovely, Leslie. What a beautiful home you have. I'm so glad you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a lovely life, complete with hubby, kids, critters, flowers, veggies and other plants, fireflies and a lovely home.

    Haven't seen fireflies in I don't know how long.

    Have a very nice weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the same way out here! Last night I watched the fireflies and listened to the frogs and insects. It is loud but a wonderful lullaby :) Your house looks so beautiful all lit up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Eli! You always make the best comments. Summer's the only time we've been successful with tomatoes. And we're so worried about going out of town today and missing out on the rest of the season. We're afraid we're going to come back in 10 days and all our plants will be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Jean! I do love my home. I am definitely a home person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lorraine! I guess fireflies don't live as far south as you are, do they? Rob grew up in Orlando and I think he said he never saw them. But then, down south, you have all your tropical wonders instead.... Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Tammy! I bet you get great firefly displays in your woods! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful. Your house looks so welcoming and I can just imagine what a wonderful life it is for the cats. :) I love watching the firefly display. Oliver tries to catch them in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so homey and shines like a lantern theres nothing like a sutry night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summer evenings do hold some fond memories for me. Thanks to all the June rains we can enjoy a free frog concerto on our front porch every evening. It's wonderful being surrounded by the sounds of nature.

    ReplyDelete