Saturday, July 11, 2015

The North Side



Last weekend I did a couple little projects to spruce up the north side of the yard. The projects were my favorite kind, the kind that mostly involve shopping.

First, I added a short path leading up to the little shelter we call the Vine House. The path is made of five round sandstone steppingstones that I found at Esposito's. ("They're hand-cut!" the cashier told me.) The path curves through the powder-puff plants with their ferny leaves and pink flowers.

Clay pots galore surround the Vine House, and I filled them with fresh pentas I got at Home Depot. The pentas were brilliant red, hot-pink, and majenta, and before I even got them all planted, a hummingbird came to visit.



Next, I turned my attention to the bed around the main house. Near the big Meyer lemon, there was an ugly weedy spot that had been bothering me for months. I stared at it for a while and finally I decided on the perfect replacement for the weeds: a bird bath, flanked by a couple of autumn ferns. I love autumn ferns. They're so tough. Plus, with their bronze-y plumage, they kind of remind me of plump, fluffy, well-feathered chickens—or maybe turkeys.

So I went to Tallahassee Nurseries and picked out a cool bird bath whose pedestal and bowl were encrusted with three-dimensional concrete shells—clam shells, conchs, and chambered nautiluses, all the treasures of the sea. I came home with the bird bath and the two autumn ferns I'd been dreaming about and got everything arranged under the lemon. When it was all in place, I spent some time admiring my new additions. I floated petals in the bird bath and took tons of pictures.



7 comments:

  1. LOVE this space, and your plants and furnishings. Those purple chairs are delightful. The birdbath is really nice.too.

    Have a lovely Sunday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! I love the garden art that's above your entryway, and of course, your lovely fern baskets. You can't beat pentas for attracting butterflies and hummers. Enjoy your sweet space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those chairs! Isn't it fun to shop for new garden items, get them all organized and then admire. I've been to Esposito's and Tallahassee Nurseries. I like both of those places for shopping. The way you put it all together looks refreshing. (completely off topic: every time I see your profile pic I'm reminded of a young Emma Thompson. Beautiful. Does anyone else say that?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I want to say that I love your vine house, the adirondak chairs and the face plaques. I love anything with faces on it. This garden spot is a lot different from other areas in your garden, but equally as pretty. Secondly, I seriously love your new birdbath. Anything with shells on it another weakness for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The computer got jammed up on me before I could finish my comment. You had a very successful garden shopping trip. Enjoy your wonderful new garden items and plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leslie- I love your vine house! Oh, those Adirondack chairs!

    ReplyDelete