Monday, September 19, 2016

Sibleys and More

Last Sunday I cleaned up the Vine House, our little tin-roofed shelter on the north side of the yard. I washed all the furniture (periwinkle-colored chairs and a matching table) with bleach, and I dusted the decorations—wind chimes and sun catchers and a collection of Christine Sibley sculptures that I bought years ago when I lived in Atlanta.

Christine Sibley was an Atlanta artist whose work I first fell in love with in the '90s at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, where she had created the beautiful ceramic facade that adorns the Ferst Fountain. My favorite part of the fountain was the trio of naiads, in bas relief, peering out from behind a waterfall.

A picture I took of the Ferst Fountain in 1995

Soon after my trip to the botanical garden, I discovered that Christine Sibley had a studio/gallery in town, very close to my house. It was the neatest place, called Urban Nirvana, surrounded by funky gardens full of crazy, colorful sculptures and murals, banana trees, and sunflowers. There were even ducks and chickens! While it was open, Urban Nirvana was my favorite place to shop, and I gave everybody in my family Christine Sibley plaques and vases and planters for their birthdays and Christmas.

Anyway, on Sunday after I dusted my Sibley sculptures, I rearranged them and spent some time just admiring them. Then I tried to get Rob to admire them with me. He was in the house sweeping up cat fur and singing this rather un-catchy song:

People say cats are clean, but they're not.
Their reputation is unearned!

“So, did you notice the Vine House?” I said. (He'd walked past it several times while I was working.) “Did you notice the Sibleys?”

“Um . . .” he said sheepishly.

We went outside and stood in front of the Vine House, but I could tell he was still baffled. I started laughing as he tried to guess what he ought to be complimenting me about.

“They're in completely different order!” I said. “The whole display looks completely different!”

One of my Sibleys


And another

Purple furniture

A little later, Buntin, our spoiled but adorable tortie, sneaked outside, and I decided to take advantage of the situation and turn her outdoor adventure into a photo shoot. I took a bunch of pictures, and then we sat in the shady grass for a while, near the front steps, and I petted her. We had the nicest time together. We were both watching butterflies as they floated from ironweed to ironweed. We forgot all of our cares and just watched the butterflies.

The gorgeous Buntin

14 comments:

  1. What interesting sculpture pieces.

    I love your periwinkle color, and Buntin is a sweetie pie.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorraine! Buntin is very sweet but very high-maintenance!

      Delete
  2. Hi Leslie, I like your Sibley's. Faces in the garden are one of my favorite garden decor. I bet Urban Nirvana was a neat place to visit. There's definitely not enough of these unique garden shops around. I see Buntin is still looking elegant in her pearls. Your purple chairs look very inviting! Is it starting to feel like autumn up your way yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! The nights are a little tiny bit cool here, but the days are still burning hot. I've heard it's supposed to be cool on Saturday though, with a high of 82.

      Delete
  3. Buntin's eyes!

    Love your Sibley's (and I needed a dictionary to look up "naiads and bas relief" ~ LOL. I think garden art plays a roll just as important as plants in many gardens - like mine. . . . And you know I'm going to Google Christine Sibley's art work now. You have such great taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eli! Your comments are too awesome. But you need to be using your talent for blogging, not just commenting. I really do hope you'll start up your blog again. I would love to see how your garden is doing and what kind of projects you are up to!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Eli! Your comments are too awesome. But you need to be using your talent for blogging, not just commenting. I really do hope you'll start up your blog again. I would love to see how your garden is doing and what kind of projects you are up to!

      Delete
  4. Oh man - so I researched Sibley and what a sad story (if my sources were legit). Absolutely reminded me of Babe from Grace and Frankie. Makes owning her art just that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eli, I googled her to and was sad to see that she died so long. I loved the building her shop was in. I want some of her art work, too.

      Delete
    2. I know, it's terrible. Sometimes you can find her work for sale on eBay, and there is a shop near Atlanta where you can get sculptures and planters made from her molds: http://www.casamontanogardenornaments.com/Sibley_s.php

      Delete
  5. Periwinkle is my favorite color, so I love, love, love that furniture! OK, now I'll have to go and google Sibley...
    Glad you and kitty had a sweet time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daisy! I love periwinkle too. When I lived in Atlanta, I planned to paint my house that color ... but then we ended up moving. But I still think it would have looked awesome!

      Delete
  6. Lovely sculptures! Buntin - queenly, as always! _Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janice! I keep checking your blog and wondering how your gorgeous garden is doing! I am really looking forward to another post!

      Delete